PORTER COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY SYSTEM- JOB DESCRIPTION
TITLE: Youth Services Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Director
WORK SCHEDULE: Full-Time. Must be willing and able to work evenings and weekends.
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
The Youth Services Coordinator position is a hospitality and customer service-oriented member of the management team. This position includes a combination of time spent in public services, branch operations, management activities, and participation in strategic planning. This position will oversee, coordinate and lead system-wide youth and teen programming and services. The Youth Services Coordinator monitors the quality and effectiveness of all library services to youth and teens while leading, advising, and promoting best practices in all areas of youth librarianship.
POSITION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Be proficient in the use of the integrated library system in order to handle all patron/library needs: check out/in; holds, searching, account maintenance, registration, etc.
- Greet patrons as they arrive and depart from the library.
- Answer informational and directional questions in person and on the phone in a professional manner.
- Assist patrons in locating materials or information both inside and outside the library.
- Assist patrons with basic library equipment requests such as copiers, printers, faxes, computer reservations, etc.
- Be part of on-call substitute librarian team.
YOUTH SERVICES COORDINATOR ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Coordinate early childhood literacy and annual programming initiatives such as the Summer and Winter Reading Program, 1000 Books before Kindergarten, Every Child Ready to Read, etc.
- Coordinate performers and presenters for multi-branch programs.
- Actively seek Youth outreach opportunities and coordinate the promotion and representation of the library at these functions.
- Develop strong community relationships with local schools and area youth-oriented organizations.
- Coordinate the planning and evaluation of youth and teen programming, collection development, services, and policy decisions system-wide as part of the management team.
- Ensure consistent high-quality patron experiences in the youth and teen services.
- Collect, coordinate, and communicate staff training and development opportunities that promote best practices in youth and teen services librarianship as part of the management team.
- Identify and communicate trends in library services and collections for users of all ages.
- Coordinate system-wide youth and teen services marketing opportunities.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Work regular shifts at public service desks.
- Promote exemplary customer service in all aspects of Youth Services.
- Participates in professional organizations to strengthen skills, develop partnership opportunities, and contribute to the library profession.
- Acts as a member of the management team at all system branches.
- ALA accredited Master of Library Science degree or related field required.
- Managerial experience preferred.
- Library and/or customer service experience required.
- Ability to work with people of all ages.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Willingness and ability to learn computer skills, applications and devices relevant to the position.
KNOWLEDGE, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND DUTIES:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Customer Service – Provides prompt, attentive, and friendly customer service in-person and by phone; represents the organization well; maintains personal accountability and ownership for providing excellent customer service; seeks and responds to feedback from customers to improve service; follows up and meets commitments; shows a willingness to go above and beyond to help customers; attempts to handle customer service issues or complaints as quickly as possible, forwarding to management when applicable.
- Teamwork – Cooperates and works together with all co-workers; plans and completes job duties with minimal supervisory direction, including appropriate judgment; collaborates with and supports coworkers by helping out where needed; creates and maintains positive relationships with coworkers; asks for and listens to coworkers feedback and incorporates feedback into revised processes; complete work on time and with proper quality; supports cross-training and shares learning with others.
- Leadership – Demonstrates expertise in designated public-service area and models excellent service quality; organizes and prioritizes work effectively; facilitates open and effective communication between team members and management; identifies opportunities for skills growth and coaches team members accordingly; thinks critically and employs sound judgment to solve problems appropriately and effectively, including appropriate escalation; ensures team members are observing safe operating procedures at all times.
- Community Engagement – Demonstrates a willingness to engage the Porter County community; accurately assesses community needs and identifies relevant areas for library service enhancement; develops new and maintains existing community relationships that are mutually beneficial; participates in events, collaborations, and activities that extend the library’s reach; proposes and negotiates opportunities for beneficial partner collaborations; engages in advocacy and promotion of library services; evaluates library services as they relate to community partners.
- Communications and Media – Communicates ideas and thoughts clearly, accurately, and respectfully; listens to others and seeks to understand others’ perspectives; has knowledge of communication techniques and methods, including alternative ways to inform and educate using electronic media, including but not limited to email, internet, and social media sites; communicated library and patrons needs to management in a timely fashion.
- Adaptability – Willingness to take on new challenges and responsibilities; open to change and variety within the workplace; works hard to implement successful change in areas of responsibility; recommends and implements changes to improve processes and customer service.
- Image – Portrays a positive image of the library; is a strong public ambassador and promotes library programs and services during customer interactions.
- Technical – Proficiency in using computers and related software; strives to stay current with library-related technology offerings; has knowledge to assist patrons and staff members with library-related technology offerings.
PHYSICAL TASKS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Lifting and/or moving of up to 20 lbs and the ability to push or pull at least 100 lbs on wheels.
- Extensive bending, stooping, pulling, reaching, kneeling, and crouching..
- Stand on a stool to shelve books overhead.
- Communicate effectively.
- Operate technology equipment .
- Manual dexterity: Able to use hands and fingers to handle books, paper, and technology.
- Repetitive tasks.
- Exposure to dust, dirt, adhesives, and toner.
- The Porter County Public Library System is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, age, national origin, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other unlawful basis.
- All employees hired at the Porter County Public Library System are subject to transfer anywhere in the Porter County Public Library System.
- The above is intended to describe the general content of the requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities, and requirements.
*The Library reserves the right to modify this and every job description in whole or in part at any time.
Resumes can be sent to email@example.com