TITLE: Maintenance Technician
DEPARTMENT: Facility Management Services
REPORTS TO: Facility Manager
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Have three years building maintenance experience.
- Have and maintain a valid Indiana driver’s license and be insurable on the library’s policy.
- Be able to operate a cargo van and trailer.
- Have a working knowledge of commercial HVAC systems, and building trades.
- Flexible schedule; work evenings and weekends as required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Be able to function with minimal supervision.
- Strong computer and technology skills, including experience with current applications and devices relevant to the position.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Perform routine maintenance functions and make general repairs on the physical plant and HVAC systems such as; boilers, chillers, air handlers, air conditioners, condensers, air compressors, unit heaters, VAV units, pneumatic stats.
- Operate, maintain, cleans and makes general repairs to System vehicles such as; checking oil, wiper fluid, antifreeze coolant, wiper blades, tire pressure, tire wear, lights, etc.
- Maintain all system landscapes not contracted out; eg. mowing, weeding, pruning, fertilizing, mulching, watering, raking, snow blowing and shoveling, and planting.
- Operates and maintains all machinery equipment and tools such as; pallet lift, man lift, mower, weed trimmer, chain saw, hedge trimmer, pole saw, leaf blower, snow blower, various hand tools, power tools, scaffold, ladders, carts, and dollies etc.
- Performs all building trade tasks including, but not limited to, painting, plumbing, carpentry, tile-setting, electrical wiring, roofing, and drywall.
- Perform housekeeping tasks as needed.
- Perform duties such as, but not limited to, furniture moving, shelf erecting, cleaning, program set-up (tables, chairs, etc).
- Perform routine maintenance on parking lots such as potholes, stripping, parking block replacement, and cleaning.
- Maintain all doors including overhead garage doors, automatic door openers and closers, and door locks.
- Be able to perform aerial lift work, scaffold and ladder work up to 50 ft.
- Be able to perform manual elevator functions and safety procedures.
- Be familiar with sprinkler systems and automated fire alarms.
- Perform all Courier duties when needed.
- Work with outside vendors as needed.
- Manages department in the absence of Facility Manager.
- Assess emergency situations, act accordingly and file incident reports as necessary.
- Attending professional development workshops/meetings as needed.
- Cooperating as a team member in performing any professional or nonprofessional duties essential to the achievement of the library’s objectives.
- Adhering to all policies and procedures in the Policy and the Procedures manual.
- Work in various branches/departments as required.
- Doing related work as required.
PHYSICAL TASKS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Meets physical requirements to perform any and all functions of the department including lifting, carrying, climbing, working in dark/confined/hot/cold/high/low spaces, both inside and outside for extended periods of time.
- Stand for 75% of work time without sitting.
- Life up to 75 lbs.
- Stand on a ladder to work overhead.
- Push or pull materials weighing up to 600 lbs.
- Climb ladder/stairs.
- May occasionally stoop, kneel, squat, and crouch.
- Communicate effectively.
- Operate equipment: Computer, copier, fax machine, telephone, HVAC equipment, elevator equipment, etc.
- Work in small or tight spaces.
- Repetitive tasks.
- Exposure to dust, dirt, adhesives, toner, and cleaning supplies.