Portage Public Library
Part-Time (20 hours)
TITLE: Clerk – Youth Services/Circulation Floater
DEPARTMENT: Youth Services & Circulation – Portage
REPORTS TO: Head of Youth Services/Head of Circulation
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to work with people of all ages.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Interest in working with children, caregivers and teachers.
- Flexible schedule; work evenings and weekends as required.
- Willingness to learn computer skills, applications and devices relevant to position.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Answers patron questions and assists them to find the materials they want and need, in person, on the telephone and email.
- Answers patrons general and directional questions and directs them to appropriate staff when necessary.
- Shelve, shelf reading and shifting of materials as assigned.
- Assist with processing of new materials.
- Recommending materials to improve the library’s collection.
- Assists, instructs, and helps the public with computer and equipment use.
- Perform opening and closing procedures as required.
- Registers patrons.
- Pull and Shelve holds. Remove expired holds.
- Assist patrons in all aspects of using the Youth/Teen/Adult Services collections.
- Assists with in-house programs as requested.
- Processes returned mail.
- Sort through material donated to the library.
- Maintain hardback and paperback replacement lists.
- Assist with managing library information and public information boards.
- Discard material.
- Handling of all cash received in the department in an appropriate manner.
- Attending library meetings, conferences, and in-service sessions as requested or approved by Department Head.
- Handle patron complaints and direct to appropriate staff as needed.
- Pull and shelve holds. Remove expired holds.
- Screen materials for damage and notify supervisor of any damage found.
- Understand and perform the circulation functions of the ILS.
- Assess emergency situations, act accordingly and file incident reports as necessary.
- Clean AV material as needed. Replace damaged media cases.
- Search for missing, trace, lost and damaged materials.
- Maintain paperback exchange.
- Adhering to all policies and procedures in the Policy and the Procedures manuals.
- Cooperating as a team member in performing any professional or nonprofessional duties essential to the achievement of the library’s objectives.
- Doing related work as required.
- Work in various branches/departments as required.
PHYSICAL TASKS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Lift up to 10 lbs. of books above head to shelve.
- Stand on a stool to shelve books overhead.
- Push or pull a book truck of materials weighing up to 100 lbs.
- Carry an armload of books up to 20 lbs.
- May occasionally stoop, kneel, squat, and crouch.
- Communicate effectively.
- Operate equipment: Computer, copier, telephone, calculator, printers and audio-visual equipment.
- Repetitive tasks.
- Exposure to dust, dirt, adhesives, and toner.
Applications should be directed to:
Kim Wiseman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Portage Public Library