TITLE: Library Clerk
BRANCH: Valparaiso, Portage, Kouts, Hebron
DEPARTMENT: Branch Services
REPORTS TO: Assistant Branch Managers
WORK SCHEDULE: Part-time, hours vary. Must be willing and able to work evenings and weekends.
The Library Clerk position is hospitality and customer service oriented. This position requires the team member to be at the public service desk or on the service floor during all working hours unless otherwise assigned by a member of the management team. The Library Clerk is expected to provide excellent customer service and library assistance to all patrons, both in person and on the phone, in accordance with library policies and performance standards.
POSITION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Become proficient in the use of the integrated library system in order to handle all patron/library needs: check out/in; holds, searching, account maintenance, registration, etc.
- Greet patrons as they arrive and depart from the library.
- Answer informational and directional questions in person and on the phone in a professional manner.
- Assist patrons in locating materials or information both inside and outside the library.
- Assist patrons with basic library equipment requests such as copiers, printers, faxes, computer reservations, etc.
- Collection maintenance such as shelving, shifting, and shelf reading.
- Assist in maintaining discipline and good order in the library.
- Available to work a schedule which may include evenings and weekends.
- Basic custodial maintenance of the branch.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Library and/or customer service experience preferred.
- Ability to work with people of all ages.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Willingness and ability to learn computer skills, applications and devices relevant to position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND DUTIES:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Customer Service – Provides prompt, attentive, and friendly customer service in-person and by phone; represents the organization well; maintains personal accountability and ownership for providing excellent customer service; seeks and responds to feedback from customers to improve service; follows up and meets commitments; shows willingness to go above and beyond to help customers; attempts to handle customer service issues or complaints as quickly as possible, forwarding to management when applicable.
- Teamwork – Cooperates and works together with all co-workers; plans and completes job duties with minimal supervisory direction, including appropriate judgment; collaborates with and supports coworkers by helping out where needed; creates and maintains positive relationships with coworkers; asks for and listens to coworkers feedback and incorporates feedback into revised processes; completes work on time and with proper quality; supports cross-training and shares learning with others.
- Communications and Media – Communicates ideas and thoughts clearly, accurately, and respectfully; listens to others and seeks to understand others’ perspectives; has knowledge of communication techniques and methods, including alternative ways to inform and educate using electronic media, including but not limited to email, internet, and social media sites; communicates library and patrons needs to management in a timely fashion.
- Adaptability – Willingness to take on new challenges and responsibilities; open to change and variety within the workplace; works hard to implement successful change in areas of responsibility; recommends and implements changes to improve processes and customer service.
- Image – Portrays a positive image of library; is a strong public ambassador and promotes library programs and services during customer interactions.
- Technical – Proficiency in using computers and related software; strives to stay current with library related technology offerings; has knowledge to assist patrons and staff members with library related technology offerings; proficient with all electronic materials, resources, and offerings.
PHYSICAL TASKS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Lifting and/or moving of up to 20 lbs and the ability to push or pull at least 100 lbs on wheels.
- Extensive bending, stooping, pulling, reaching, kneeling, and crouching..
- Stand on a stool to shelve books overhead.
- Communicate effectively.
- Operate technology equipment .
- Manual dexterity: Able to use hands and fingers to handle books, paper, and technology.
- Repetitive tasks.
- Exposure to dust, dirt, adhesives, and toner.
- The Porter County Public Library System is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, age, national origin, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other unlawful basis.
- All employees hired at the Porter County Public Library System are subject to transfer anywhere in the Porter County Public Library System.
- The above is intended to describe the general content of an requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities and requirements.
Resumes can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or attached to an application above.
*The Library reserves the right to modify this and every job description in whole or in part at any time.