TITLE: Circulation Clerk
DEPARTMENT: Circulation – Hebron
REPORTS TO: Branch Manager
HOURS: Part time (10-20 hours/week)
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Social ease, public speaking ability and initiative.
- Ability to work with people of all ages.
- Flexible schedule; work evenings and weekends as required.
- Willingness to learn computer skills, applications and devices relevant to position.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Answers patron questions and assists them to find the materials they want and need, in person, on the telephone and email.
- Answers patrons general and directional questions and directs them to appropriate staff when necessary.
- Shelve, shelf reading and shifting of materials as assigned.
- Assist with processing of new materials.
- Recommending materials to improve the library’s collection.
- Assists, instructs, and helps the public with computer and equipment use.
- Perform opening and closing procedures as required.
- Registers patrons.
- Processes returned mail.
- Assist in the repair of materials and/or prepare them to be rebound.
- Assist patrons with e-content and devices.
- Create displays as assigned.
- Create list of and search for billed items.
- Run notices for the system.
- Sort through material donated to the library.
- Maintain hardback and paperback replacement lists.
- Manage library information and public information boards.
- Discard materials.
- Train and schedule volunteers.
- Handling of all cash received in the department in an appropriate manner.
- Attending library meetings, conferences, and in-service sessions as requested or approved by Department Head.
- Handle patron complaints and direct to appropriate staff as needed.
- Pull and shelve holds. Remove expired holds.
- Screen materials for damage and notify supervisor of any damage found.
- Understand and perform the circulation functions of the ILS.
- Assess emergency situations, act accordingly and file incident reports as necessary.
- Clean AV material as needed. Replace damaged media cases.
- Search for missing, trace, lost and damaged materials.
- Maintain paperback exchange.
- Adhering to all policies and procedures in the Policy and the Procedures manuals.
- Cooperating as a team member in performing any professional or nonprofessional duties essential to the achievement of the library’s objectives.
- Work in various branches/departments as required.
- Doing related work as required.
PHYSICAL TASKS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Lift up to 10 lbs. of books above head to shelve.
- Stand on a stool to shelve books overhead.
- Push or pull a book truck of materials weighing up to 100 lbs.
- Carry an armload of books up to 20 lbs.
- Communicate effectively.
- Operate equipment: Computer, copier, fax machine, typewriter, telephone, calculator, audio-visual equipment, scanners and printers.
- Repetitive tasks.
- Exposure to dust, dirt, adhesives, and toner.
- Exposure to high stress situations
Resumes should be sent to:
Branch Manager (Hebron Public Library)